News:

Buy official forum merchandise here!

Main Menu

MSF Basic Rider Course

Started by Nice Goat, June 15, 2024, 12:14:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nice Goat

My daughter and two of her friends came to me and asked if I would teach them to ride on the road.  I said:

"Absolutely not.  There is a mountain of research and evidence that shows
    better long-term safety when you learn from a professional.  Please take
    the MSF course instead, and then we will sit around and talk about the
    lessons that I have learned over the years."

They all accepted my advice and signed up for the MSF Basic Rider Course in July at Redstone Harley in Madison.

I also offered to spend a day visiting dealers with them and discussing the pros and cons of different beginner-friendly motorcycles, once they have completed the class.

The textbook for the class is available from Amazon for $2.99.  Maybe it is time that we all re-read it.  I just downloaded my copy.
IBA #63019 - 2022 Yamaha Tenere 700 - 2023 Yamaha XMAX 300
Deep thought: "Pie and coffee are as important as gasoline."

Chitza

Funny you should post this today. I've been looking at taking another MSF Course. I haven't been riding much and feel very rusty. I need something like the MSF Course to re-build my shaky confidence.
Loud pipes make me hungry for Valium biscuits and scotch gravy. - kdtrull

Yeah....ham it up, crackers.   ;D -kdtrull
The politically correct term is "Saltine American". -KevinB

Guidedawg

A co-worker and member of my lodge asked me about motorcycles earlier this year.  After talking to him, I gave him suggestions for what I thought would be a good beginner bike he could use for a long time (He bought a used Shadow 750) and insisted he take the MSF course before doing anything.

He completed it in Montgomery last weekend.

kylepeterson

when ? where ? my daughter would love to have other girls to talk motos with. dirt, street or ds, as long as she gets to have some peers with moto minds.

as far as the msf course, i would like for both of my kids to do that. she has a ton of dirt experience, he has some. neither would be 'safe' on the road for more than the 3 feet it takes to fully engage the clutch.

just give 'er the berries !

Nice Goat

Quote from: kylepeterson on June 17, 2024, 04:51:40 PMwhen ? where ?

My daughter and her friend will be taking the course at Redstone HD in Madison on July 15-17.

kylepeterson

Quote from: Nice Goat on June 20, 2024, 09:02:09 AMMy daughter and her friend will be taking the course at Redstone HD in Madison on July 15-17.

do you have specifics for the event ? just a link will do. thanks
just give 'er the berries !

Chitza

https://redstoneharley-davidson.com/riding-academy

I've been looking at it, too. I'm just too old to be out on that tarmac in this heat. I'll hold off for this fall.
Loud pipes make me hungry for Valium biscuits and scotch gravy. - kdtrull

Yeah....ham it up, crackers.   ;D -kdtrull
The politically correct term is "Saltine American". -KevinB

Nice Goat

Quote from: kylepeterson on June 22, 2024, 06:39:48 PMdo you have specifics for the event ? just a link will do. thanks

yep, redstone harley website —-> learn to ride

I'll probably take the skilled rider course in September or October